Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Uber Waves

Lah!!

Well, we didn't make it to St Michael's Mount yesterday, and by 'didn't make it' I mean everyone slept in and then we were too lazy. So, tomorrow it is. And tomorrow happens to be our last day in Mullion. Friday, we take off for Castleton overnight and then Skye!

I made use of the day to do all the things I had intended for tomorrow. Me and Blair walked down to Poldhu Cove, where the beach was very wide and the sand was pebbly. The waves there were surfing waves, large and foamy and crashing down onto the shore. The tide was coming in; an amazing thing to see. We stood with the waves cresting ten feet in front of us and the foamy surf lapping at our feet.

Some surfers (the closest thing to cute young males we've seen yet) ran by us and didn't even spare a glance at us before wading out to sea; watching them go headfirst through the waves to continue out to sea was something that invoked mild awe and respect for their slight insanity.

One surprise mother wave came crashing into shore far past where the other ones barely touched our ankles, to soak my skirt past my knees and continue all the way up to the rocks I'd prudently placed my stuff on top of. It soaked a chick lying where she'd thought would be out of reach of the water.

Teehee, it was AWESOME!!

After that, we moved our stuff even higher on the rocks, and stripped down to bras and undies. I held my scarf-skirt behind me to billow in the wind like a cape, trying to dry it as much as possible.

I watched the waves crash again and again, so close and yet so far. The power of them was insanely strong and beautiful.

Finally, it was time to get wet. The waves were getting more powerful as the tide moved in, closely followed by what promised to be quite the storm. I saw waves flying towards me and waded in, running towards the more powerful side, watching it crest, break, and come roaring towards me. I willed them to break again against me and send spray up in a geyser, nearly knocking me over with the force of it.

There aren't really words to describe the feeling of watching those huge waves coming straight for you. The fear, excitement, helplessness, and sheer power. Wanting to be part of the wave. Surrendering to it.

I've seen huge waves before, been on beaches, but never stood on a beach to watch one come for me. Each time was terrifying and made me want more, even as I stumbled to keep my balance.

The last time, I was so far in the in that the wave itself hit me, not just the rushing aftermath. It hit me on the dry(ish) beach waist-, maybe chest-high, pushed me almost fully down with the force of it, and soaked me head to toe. I can still brush salt from my eyebrows, hours later.

That's when I (we) surrendered to the rainclouds and gathered our things, and started clambering back up the steep steps cut into the hill and back down the path towards home, shivering. Blair was also soaked, having dunked her dreads before me, but not quite so extensively.

It was raining by the time we hit the path.

Speaking of hair, I hennaed my hair orange this morn. Well, "copper", but seeing how my hair was blond to begin with instead of dark brown, orange was what I expected and received. Gorgeous dark orange that I@m very fond of, partially because it's strangely natural-looking. The henna deep-conditioned my hair too, making it shine beautifully

YAY!

Lah.

We also hit the chocolate shop and the hotel for computer-ness. I spoke to Kai and Mama and Savvy, and learned that Kell's on his way to Sasketchewan.

Anyways, I'm exhausted and it's early-ish up tomorrow so me go try and sleep. Gnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment