Thursday, July 10, 2008

Flying Through the Air With The Greatest of Ease

Whee, what an excellent day!

First of all, yesterday I had the house to myself for the morning, so that chilled me out considerably. Then, on the boat tour we did, I meditated at the loch and asked the goddess to let go of my anger and bitterness.

And I did!

This morn I had a nice long chat with Anne and cleared up a lot of shit, which helped clear my heart as well. We went to Fort William, and finally took the Ferry! It was funky, a huge one like the one Kell and me took to Bowen Island. Oh, and I splurged outrageously and spent 10 pounds on a teeny tank top at an awesome shop next to where the ferry picked us up.

Our trip to Fort William had two purposes: one, Anne found a really nice house and wants to possibly buy it and move here (I love the house and it’s got oodles of property including a barrow on it), so she had to talk to the solicitor about the nitty gritty details.

Two, there’s an awesome hike to these falls in Glen Nevis (Valley of DEATH... or... you know... whatever Nevis means) that involves a cable rope bridge over a river. And when i say ‘cable’, I mean a single cable, with two other cables on either side to hang onto.

It didn’t look too bad. I mean, I expected it to be over like a gorge, not just ten or twenty feet over a river. But that’s still high enough.

I went first. It was AWESOME!!

Yeah, I’m weird. But I loved it. It was only slightly (?!?) terrifying, and just barely that. Then again, I’d spent the hike meditating and charging myself with the elements. Also, there was oodles of quartz sunk into everything. Let’s not forget that the mountains here (unlike the limestone Rockies) are all made of quartz. Uber amplifiers, anyone? I also had a huge chunk I picked up in my bag with me.

So maybe I was a little high on power.

Although the first time the cable started swinging did make me a little nervous until I focused on it to stop.

Typically, even though it was Blair insisting that we go there in the first place, two steps in she started squealing and freaking out and changing her mind. I goaded her halfway across and by then it was too late to change her mind.

Anne couldn’t get onto the cable at all. See, you kinda have to lift yourself up; there’s no step or ladder. So I went back across and helped her by giving her a knee up.

She did well until the cable started shaking and swaying as it always does near the middle, and then she slowed a little.

Then, in the blink of an eye her feet were gone, and she was frozen in midair for a moment—long enough to wonder if she’d hang there by her arms or even fly—then she was falling, the shock on her face almost comical as she broke the surface and sank. The river looked shallow, enough that I wondered whether she’d hurt herself on the rocks, but it was deep enough, about 12 feet from her reckoning.

She swam towards me, gasping ‘cold’ over and over. It was a dark misty, rainy cool day to begin with, and it was after five when we started the over-a-mile hike, so the water must have been freezing. After I helped her ashore she was okay, except for the cold, and we had nothing to give her clothes-wise that would fit.

To make the rest of the long story short, because my fingers are cramped and I’m exhausted, after we’d ascertained her okayness, Blair waded across a shallow part in the river back and stayed with her Mama while I went back again across the bridge and did the final bit to the waterfall, where I meditated a bit more and dunked my head—this was my plan all along but Anne’s fall gave me courage to actually dunk a few times—before rejoining them. Everyone was still in remarkably good spirits, and we all made our three-person-ed way back together, one in front and one in back of Anne to help her back over the steep up-and-down hike.

Luckily, when we got back to the car the electronic car key still worked. And luckily, she had just given me back my camera before she crossed, so only her cheap one got soaked.

Thank god she didn’t bring her uber expensive one!!

I was impressed, overall. The way wasn’t easy, but she made it despite everything, with only the occasional hand up or down and only a single break or two.

And everyone managed to stay happy.

Goddess bless.

Lah.


No comments:

Post a Comment