Saturday, January 15, 2005

Love and Laughter

I've been thinking. I happened to reread the inscription above my bedroom window. I have people who love me, people who care. Maybe not a huge bunch of them, but I have a few of the best people any of you will ever meet. I have an adorable tiny dog who presses his nose to mine and loves to lick every part of me he can find. I have books, I have movies, and I have a mother who has sacrificed a lot for us.

I have some of the awesomest souls in the world around me, no matter who they came from or how they grew up. Becs still doesn't listen to a word her mother says that's bigotry or racism if it has to do with her friends. Not only that, but she fights her mother. She stands up for what she believes in, no matter who she's up against.

Will still doesn't let himself get broken, doesn't let his parents isolate him from everyone he likes that doesn't fit their standards. He fights back too, physically if he has to. And it will pay off for him. He'll be free soon enough. He'll find his happiness. Better (and harder) yet, he still doesn't believe a word his parents say about 'different' people, though they've been saying them since he was young. I think this is partly because of what his parents would hate about him if they knew about it. What they do hate him for, even though they don't consciously know it.

Maral and Sabrina and Melissa and Marie Claire will still have my back if I was in trouble, even though I haven't seen Maral or Sab in years and I see Meli or MC once two years if I'm lucky. Hell, their parents might even have backed me up, because they've known me since I was a little girl.

So all in all, stupid tiny little things don't really matter on the Richter scale of my life. When it comes down to it, they aren't important at all in the long run. Maybe right now I--we--don't have the best of circumstances, the happiest of lives, the greatest people in them. But one day, we will. And when push comes to shove, there are better things to dwell on. Like listening to Bec tell me in full detail what I missed by being sick until I'm wondering how a chick can have that much spit to talk so much, mention it, and be reminded that I often talk for even longer periods of time, then agree and laugh with her.

Beautiful sound, incidentally. Laughter. Real laughter. And when you have someone like Becs, who doesn't hold back her laugh and doesn't expect you to either, then you're really lucky. Because we've laughed for minutes while barely stopping for breath, only to finally resurface and realize that what we were laughing about was lame and really a pathetic reason to laugh, anyway. But it didn't matter, because we were enjoying ourselves to an extent that didn't require something weighty or important. Because happiness is one of the simplest things on Earth.

And with that, I leave you on a happy note.

MistWeaver

PS: And some people are worth anything.

PPS: If you're wondering what started the chain of thinking about happy things, I've deleted the original post at a request from a friend. Sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment