Saturday, November 06, 2004

Prop her up and dust her off... part II

G'day, folks! I got a full twelve hours of sleep last night and I'm rearing to go for a new day full of writing.

Well, I'm up and at em, at least.

First off: I shall continue from yesterday's post. Then I shall describe my Friday. Then I shall leave you faithful readers to catch up on my word count. I also may not post much over the next couple of days, mainly because I doubt my life will be interesting (nobody to do anything with) and because it will be taken up by writing. I'm going to try to get my novel up and posted, though. If not this weekend, then sometime next week.

So let's take a trip back to Thursday, shall we? Where was I? Ah, yes. The art opening. Those things are amazing. The main show was wearable art, so there were amazing costumes reminiscent of the ArtaWEARness fashion show I was in, in April. There my mother's group of designers/jewelers made outfits made entirely from black fabric and copper. I was an African Warrior Queen, with dozens of small copper leaves sewn onto the edges of my dress. I was dressed, literally, to kill. My outfit was designed by my mother, and made entirely by my mother. Some of the other costumes our group had were the Egyptian Queen (original design by Mama, adapted and ruined by this woman named Sandra, vaguely fixed by Mama and her friend Ava, worn by Ava), the 20`s Flapper (designed by my mother, all the copperwork--hundreds of copper tendril beads-- done by Ava, assembled by Sandra, worn by Michelle).

As you may be able to guess, Sandra wasn't the most productive member of the commitee. In fact, I seem to remember Ava telling her that she'd drop out of the show if she had to wear the... creation... Sandra made out of my mother (who majored in Fashion Design) 's original pattern for the dress.

The reason I tell you all of this is that my mother and I were watching the people go up and down the stairs that was the 'runway' of sorts, and guess who we saw? Michelle, next in line take her turn on the runway. Guess what she was wearing? Her dress from ArtaWEARness. Guess who was standing behing her in the artist's position? Sandra. Guess who Dee (the founder of the jewelry department and MC) named as sole artist in the making of the dress? Sandra. My mother and Ava (who was at her home north of Edmonton) never even heard that the dress was being used again. Ava's name wasn't even mentioned in passing. Boy, was my mother spitting mad. I'm jsut glad Ava wasn't there, because then we'd have a murder on our hands: the death of Sandra's respect as an artist.

Then again, Lady Karma can be a bitch. Sandra's gonna get hers, and get hers badly.

Let's move on to after the main show. My mother and I talked with some of her old friends from last year, when she was taking classes at the Alberta College of Art and Design. We saw, were seen, and basically had a great time. We even went into the bar for a drink or two (hers, not mine: I don't drink) and no one questioned my right to be there. Mama treated me more like a younger person capable of mature and independant thought than a teenage daughter.

Eventually though, we had to leave to pick up Brian at the airport. Brian was originally a friend of the family who fell on some (really) hard times, and moved in with us. Since then he's become a part of the family and moved out two months ago to go work in a town an 8 hour drive north (?) of us called Fort McMurray. He's only been back to visit once (Thanksgiving) because of his job as a contractor, so it was great to see him again. He's another one who's never underestimated me because of my age.

The moment we picked him up though, I was relegated back to my position of daughter who got to go along because there was nothing else to do with her. Sorry, playtime's over, hon. Time to remember that you went to the art show because it was convenient instead of driving back and forth after the p-t interviews.

I feel like that sometimes with my mother. I'm her friend and companion when there's no one else available. The rest of the time, I'm just her precocious, smart-assed kid. That's okay, I suppose, except that I'd rather have a better balance. Can't I be both at the same time? I guess not., because while we're out somewhere, the latter is a hindrance while the former is a help.

I guess I'm digging my own grave here, because as far as I know she reads my blog everyday. Never let it be said that she's not supportive of anything I do! I have to give her another shout-out, too: she's been giving me a lot of breaks from nagging so that I can write my novel.

Speaking of my novel, I have to go write for a while before I can justify another long post. Be back later!

MistWeaver

No comments:

Post a Comment