Monday, November 08, 2004

The many fun faces of Novel writing

Well, it's been a fairly uneventful weekend. I spent it writing, writing, and oh! Guess what? Writing! I'm at 11 100 words and I haven't finsihed my word count for the day.

I also, as you can see, posted my novel online. I'm quite proud of that fact, since it was done after I was done my word count for Saturday. Of course, it doesn't yet have today and yesterday's additions, but those will be coming shortly. Since I'm listening to Jack off Jill (a BAND, for all you sickos out there that haven't come into contact with my music choices as of yet), among other Shriek songs, I am not writing (it distracts me too much).

I don't have much to say about today, except for Social, which was, as usual, crazy. My only amusing anecdote is from this morning.

First, let me start off by talking about last night. Papa came home from Belgium (CHOCOLATE!), Brian went back to Fort McMurray, and I talked to Will, who has taken over the task of drawing things from my novel. Last night I knocked him out of a bad mood and he enthusiastically went about the task of drawing Lunai. His only problem was her eyes. The colours are such that they're very hard to describe. I spent a lot of valuable novel-writing time trying to do exactly that, but I have no regrets. I finished my word count all the same.

So, this morning, imagine my surprise when I walk outside to wait for my bus and catch sight of the sky. In case you've never witnessed an Albertan sunrise, well let's just say they're pretty. Supremely pretty. This one was no exception, but the weird part is that the sky was the EXACT colour of Lunai's eyes. The clouds were molten gold, and the sky around them was a dark clear blue that took my breath away. What took my breath away even more, however, was the realization that a picture would be perfect. Maybe Brian had left his camera here...

And so, dropping my stuff where I was standing, I dashed inside (in full heels, might I add) and ran downstairs to the basement, where his room is. Tearing it apart, I realize that no, he had not left his camera here. Cursing at the top of my lungs, I ran back upstairs and outside to where I had left my bags.

It was then that I remembered that my mother had recently won a digital camera, and that last I had seen it, it was sitting in the back seat of the car, unopened. And what's more, if I remembered correctly, it came with batteries included! And so, dashing to open the garage door, I ran and prayed the door to the car was unlocked. It was! I tore apart the inside, searching everywhere, but it seemed that she had brought it inside the night before, after all. I started to leave, my last hope gone, but I caught sight of it laying on the far back seat. Let us all rejoice! The Heavens are merciful!

And so, holding it triumphantly above my head, I trudged back over to where I was to wait for my bus, nearly killing myself on the ice as I did so. I tried to open it, but oh, no! Yet another problem! It was sealed in that *&^$% unopenable plastic packaging. I figured that we had to have scissors in the kitchen. So I dropped my stuff yet again and ran for the house, using the side entrance this time. Entering the kitchen, I discovered that we had no scissors. Fate was mocking me. I desperately grabbed a knife and started clawing at the package, trying valiantly to cut it open. Since the damn knife appeared to be dull, I grabbed a sharper, sturdier one and with a single huge swipe of my hand, sheared it in half. Clutching my prize, I walked valiantly back to the corner where I had left my stuff.

There was a brief panicked moment where I feared that the batteries were not included, after all, but luck was with me: there were two AAA batteries packaged in that godforsaken packaging along with the camera. Also, still wrapped in the adreline rush from the Quest for the Camera, I couldn't figure out how to turn it on. It is, after all, a very simple and cheap camera. Finally I pressed the only other button on it besides the shutter release, and knew the satisfaction of seeing the word 'hi' appear on the tiny screen.

"Hi," I muttered to myself. "This must be good. It's friendly."

I fiddled with it and hoped that I'd taken a couple of pictures. Then, trying to figure out how to turn the damned thing off (when I pressed that one button again it said 'Of' but didn't do anything), I finally did what I probably shoudl have done in the first place: found the instructions manual and checked it. Unfortunately, the instructions manual didn't have any more of a clue how to turn it off than I did. It did, however, know how to take pictures with the thing far better than I. panicked now, thinking that I hadn't actually taken any pictures and the beautiful sky-scene was gone, I snapped off a few more, just to be sure.

Luckily, the bus came right about then and the camera was saved from my desperate attempts to capture my character's eyes in a picture.

Ttyl,

MistWeaver

1 comment:

  1. Remember 'Spirited Away'
    REMEMBER REMEMBER
    REMEMBER
    REMEMBER
    REMEMBER "SPIRITED AWAY"
    REMEMBER
    REMEMBER
    REMEMBER

    ReplyDelete