Thursday, June 26, 2008

Rings and Roses

Holy cow.

First of all, almost a year has passed since my last entry. And so many things have happened that, as usual, it's impossible to catch up.

So let's skip to tonight, at this moment.

I just came in from having a cigarette outside of a beautiful B&B in East Kennett, UK. It's just after 11 pm, and there's a soft rain falling outside, coating the entire British countryside with a layer of mist and the smell of damp night flowers blooming. Everything feels old and powerful, and gorgeous. Avebury, where I am, is the home of the largest collection of standing stones (think Stonehenge, but spread out over many fields and acres) in Europe. The stones are maybe a 20-minute walk from where we're staying, and the ancient power of the place coats the air more surely than the rain. My spirit is humming with gentle vibrations, and Marley is playing quietly in the background.

So imagine my surprise when Blair discovered that this place is equipped with wireless internet. Even though it's only our first day here, it feels like we've been here forever and Calgary is just a vague memory. I look at the clock and realize that it's only just after 4 pm back home, and the thought blows my mind.

I think I'll keep an update on my blog of this amazing journey through the UK, whenever I get the chance to get online, which I somehow don't think will be a priority for these first couple of weeks.

There are no words, no matter how carefully chosen, that can explain this place. Not just this place in Britain where I am, but the place I'm at in my heart and soul right now, the journey that I'm taking. I had about two days warning that I was coming, and to actually be lying here in this bed, looking across the narrow street at the small field that's the parking lot, or at the thatched roofs of some of the ancient homes around here, is unbelievable.

And let's not forget Avebury Henge. Whew. We've only driven around to explore, since we only got here a few hours ago, but the entire thing is amazing. Even the space it canvasses is amazing. It's not one location, seen from a distance, the way Stonehenge is (and Stonehenge is only a little ways away), it's all around us, spread out and open to anyone to walk through and experience. It permeates the air. Or maybe that's the spirits of the thousands (!!) of buried warriors under the rolling hills and lands in this area.

Well, I should probably head off to bed. I haven't really slept in the past few days, what with the hectickness of everything before stepping foot on the plane, and I have a good English breakfast waiting for me in the morning, and a day of exploring places so old and rooted in the land that I can't even really comprehend it, just feel it and soak it in. One more night here, then off to Cornwall.

Thank you Goddess, for giving me this oppurtunity and putting this journey into my life's path.

Thank you Mama and all my family and loves, for helping make it happen.

Thank you Anne and Blair, for bringing me with you.

Good night, love.

Lah.

PS. I'm posting journal entries from the trip soon, so there will be entries before and after this posted later.

No comments:

Post a Comment